Thursday, July 15, 2010

Further antics of the Nocturnal Naked Chihuahua

Recently, Maddie Sue has taken to wanting to sleep on the couch in my sitting room. It's sort of like her "big girl" place. She thinks she cannot jump that high (although I have seen her do so), so I bought her stair steps so she could get on and off herself.

But as you would suspect, she thinks she cannot climb the stairs, so using a quilt over the stairs, I made a comfy, slopping little hill for her so she can get up and down herself. (Although I just noticed that the only boy in the house, the visiting Boo, has peed at the foot of her slope. Boys!)

But, as you would suspect, she wants to be lifted on and off at night, even though she scales her gentle mountain slope regularly during the day.

I would just as soon not have her sleep on the couch because invariably she will wake up in a few hours, realize she is alone in the dark and "WHACK" for me to come and fetch her. This is normally just when I am getting into a good rem of sleep.

You might say, "well, you're bigger than she is, don't let her sleep there." To which I would respond, "She is stubborn, and determined, and she will "WHACK" until she gets her way." So tough love does not work well with Ms Maddie Sue.

This is the long wind up to the story about Darth Chihuahua.

Last night, she wanted to sleep on the couch. So I grabbed her harness and "helped" her climb her gentle mountain slope to the couch. She settled right down to a snug sleep and I went to bed praying for her sleep to continue, yet, having a honed set of "mother's ears," I knew I would be listening for her call.

Several hours later:

BAM!

The door to the bedroom slammed open so wide it hit the dresser.
With a start, I opened my eyes just as light flooded the bedroom like a stage spotlight and in the shadow - made huge by the light, stood....................drum roll..............


DARTH CHIHUAHUA

Who proudly announced her presence with a "WHACK" (as if the Bam of the door and the blast of light did not get our attention) -- saying in her doggy way: "boy am I proud of myself! I not only made it off the couch, but through the house in the dark all by myself!" Looking like a giant chihuahua with her little piggy tail awaggin' like crazy. She was disappointed that this was not an occasion to rise and celebrate her accomplishment, since it was indeed only 4 in the morning.



*************
As is our agreement, and since this is her blog, Maddie Sue has editorial and approval rights. Her only comment is, "Aren't you being just a little harsh here?" To which I replied, "NO!"
Begrudgingly, Maddie Sue approves this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment