Monday, June 28, 2010

Another Noctural Moment with The Naked Chihuahua

I had finished my shift. It was 2 a.m. Ms Maddie Sue and I crawled into our respective beds - hers of choice at this moment was the pillow on the floor by my bed.

As I was in the process of getting comfortable, I heard on her pillow:

scratchscratchscratch, FLUFF, fluff, scratch, FLUFF, scratchscratchscratch

And I looked down to watch her flitting around, fluffy and scratching and plumping and pawing her pillow. I called her name and she paused giving me the, "What chu talkin' 'bout Willis?" look and went back to her fluffing and scratching.

Since Gordon was happily snoring, I knew she wasn't disturbing him, and since I was still fluffing and pawing my own sleep area to find just the perfect sleep spot myself, I decided to let her be.

Just as I was about to doze, I had a sensation of quiet movement in the room. I opened one eye and here at the foot of the bed, traipsing to the bedroom door, pausing and wagging her little piggy tail, then about face and traipsing back behind the foot of the bed, and then an about face and back to the bedroom door, pausing and wagging her little piggy tail, and......

you get the idea -- like the floating duck in a shooting gallery at the fairground. If I had a pea-shooter I could have beaned her. But she was quiet so I let her be.

Until WHACK! "I'm thirsty."

I hauled myself up and out of bed and gave her a quiet personal drink. (If I open the door to the water bowls, or even touch a bowl for water, the other two beasts come running to see who is getting water -- so I took Maddie Sue into the bath room, shut the door, and quietly gave her a drink out of Gordon's cup. No, forget the last part, that was mere literary license. honest

As we got back to our sleep spots, I realized that Maddie Sue lays quietly as long as I am looking at her. I tried sleeping with one eye open. This is very hard to do, maybe impossible. I think I will look for those gag glasses with eyeballs showing, or just paint eyeballs on my eyelids so she will think I am looking at her.

off to a nap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment